About the Bibliography
The Bibliography of British and Irish History (BBIH) is the most comprehensive and accurate guide available to what's been published in British and Irish history over the past 125 years. This makes BBIH a key resource for study, research and teaching: the essential starting point for discovering what's been written in any historical field, when and by whom.
What makes BBIH so valuable and useful?
- contains over 630,000 records of books, edited collections, journal articles and book chapters
- includes details of history publications from the early 1900s to 2020s
- covers the history of the British Isles, the former empire and Commonwealth, the British world, and Britons' activities on the global stage
- is searchable via a range of options. These include: author, title of publication, subject area, period and places covered, publication type and date/s of publication
What makes BBIH a unique resource?
- created using systematic and extensive surveys of data on all relevant new publications, including weekly reviews of 800 academic journals and records of the British Library
- provides links to individual publications in your library or a union catalogue, along with academic reviews of books listed in the bibliography
- enables you to create your own comprehensive bibliography on any topic
- the definitive record of British historical research and publishing in the C20th and C21st
BBIH is updated three times/year by specialist bibliographers at the IHR, working with a team of academic historians to ensure accuracy and comprehensiveness. BBIH is a research and publishing project of the IHR, the UK's Royal Historical Society and the Belgian academic press, Brepols.